Ophthalmology negligence and blindness compensation claims
Ophthalmology combines medical and surgical specialities and deals with a wide range of clinical conditions such as:
- diseases of the cornea
- diabetic retinopathy
- eye-related neurological problems
- infectious eye diseases
- intraocular inflammation
- eye injuries
- macular degeneration
- retinal issues such as bleeding, detachment, and tears.
Ophthalmologists diagnose, treat and prevent disorders of the eyes and the visual system. Generally, medical and surgical treatments are carried out well but on occasions eye treatments can fall below an acceptable standard and result in an unnecessary injury to the eye, prolonged disease or permanent disability such as blindness.
Paediatric ophthalmology is a sub-speciality of ophthalmology which involves the treatment of eye conditions and injuries in children. The most common ophthalmic surgical procedures for a child include the correction of strabismus (squint), correction of ptosis and minor lacrimal disorders. If a child receives negligent treatment then it can result in a substantial life long risk and may have a devastating impact.
Common instances of negligence following eye treatment
Common Clinical and Medical Negligence compensation claims arise as a result of:
• negligent eye laser treatment
• negligent cataract surgery
• failure to obtain appropriate pre-operative consents
• mismanagement of foreign bodies in the eye
• delay in diagnosis or misdiagnosis of glaucoma / eye infections
• mismanagement of eye injuries / eye infections
• mistreatment of corneal abrasions
• negligent retinal detachment treatment
• failure to treat diabetic retinopathy.
If you or a loved one has suffered as a result of negligent eye treatment by an Ophthalmologist you may be able to bring and ophthalmology (eye) negligence compensation claim. To discuss the potential of bringing a compensation claim please call our Clinical and Medical Negligence lawyers on Freephone: 0808 164 0808 for a FREE, no-obligation chat. Alternatively, you can complete the request a call back form and we will call you.